Not exactly good judgment

I went to bed on Friday night with 101 degree fever after having spent four plus hours in windy, 40 degree weather at the Glenbard South Raider Invitational track meet.  My wife suggested reasonably that I probably didn’t want to get up and run a 10K race in the morning, and I had reasonably agreed.

So when she woke up at 8:00 the next morning and I was dressed to run the race and preparing to head out the door, she was not pleased.  Cold medicine helped me feel up to the run.

Because I was running as a charity runner, I did feel some obligation.  I had even recruited some donations.  It also seemed like a milestone, of a sort, to run my first race in at least three years.

I parked about a mile away from the race staging site at Balbo and Columbus—free parking on the street.  I ran the distance for a warm up.  I picked up my race chip and race t-shirt; I checked in at the Ignatian Spirituality Project tent, where they gave me another t-shirt.  I had planned to run in an old-school bright yellow Ignatius track singlet, but I pulled the ISP t-shirt on over that in order to be a member of the group.

Later, on the run after we turned around at 31st Street beach and headed north to return to the start/finish area, I exchanged many smiles and thumbs up from the other ISP runners in their shirts.

There were pace corrals where they asked us to get organized before the race start.  I put myself in the 7:00 per mile corral—a little bit ambitious, as it turned out.

I did not expect to run particularly well, and I didn’t run that well.  At the mile mark I was 7:30; it seemed a little bit long to me, but it was also possible I was just not feeling well.  I ran a little bit faster on the jogging and bike trail past McCormick Place for the next two miles until the turnaround at 31st Street, where I was just under 23 minutes for 5K.  The way back was harder and slower.  My final time was 48:20.

We had a nice day at home the rest of the day.  My wife and I went out to dinner that night at the new Pasteur restaurant on north Broadway with a group of other parents from our “Children Adopted from Vietnam” play group.  It was a really nice time.

That night, though, the fever kicked in again—with a vengeance and with shaking chills.  Another round of cold medicine knocked it down a little bit–to 103 degrees.

I woke up at 9:00 on Sunday morning, which was already past my scheduled departure time to go to school for our track meet, the Fenwick Friars Frosh Soph relays at Concordia University in River Forest.

This time I took my wife’s advice.  I called my assistant coaches and asked them to cover the meet, and I stayed home.  I missed a month of the season six years ago when I went to Vietnam to adopt our two children, but other than that in nine years of coaching I don’t remember missing a meet.

Late in the day on Sunday, with my fever down to 100 degrees or so, I did go out for a one-mile run to keep my running streak for the 2012 year alive.

They are still taking donations for the Ignatian Spirituality Project, a ministry to homeless men and women which takes them on a religious retreat, often to support their participation in a 12-step program.

Here’s a link to my fundraising page: .  My goal is $300.


Leave a comment

Filed under running

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s